Peer Tutor (As Needed - Westminster)
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Westminster, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to the Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
The Peer Tutor is responsible for providing academic assistance to assigned tutorial students in a group or individual sessions. These sessions are designed to provide adisement on ways students can approach or solve coursework problem; demonstrate to students study techniques and test preparation that may improve grades. The Tutor serves as a motivator and mentor.
The Peer Tutor (as needed) position:
- Assist students in achieving a better understanding of a specific subject material and improving academic capabilities
- Assist/supervise the completion and review of homework
- Meet with teachers, when needed, to assist the student pass the course
- Offer strategies to students on study skills, test taking, and notes taking
- Provide academic coaching to students in tutorial sessions
- Advise and encourage students to perform their best in their courses
- Encourage students to read and do research to develop familiarity with the internet
- Encourage students continue their education beyond high school
- Assist with the process of transforming tutees from students to scholars
- Prepare and complete progress reports
- Meet with assigned UB Staff to provide update on the students progress or address concerns
- Additional duties as assigned
- Must be an Upward Bound Westminster Senior
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Taken pre-calculus, biology, chemistry and other higher level math
- Must submit a work permit
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.