Peer Tutor As Needed Upward Bound Westminster
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Westminster, CA | Part Time | From $15.96 to $16.04 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Education – Upward Bound
VOALA’s Upward Bound program aims to bring educational opportunities to youth and their families as they navigate their journey toward educational attainment. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participant’s complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from post-secondary education. In order to accomplish this, VOALA provides a large range of assistance and programming including after-school academic instruction in core subjects and foreign languages, as well as PSAT, SAT, and ACT test preparation. Career exploration and mentoring are also an integral component to assist community youth in deciding on potential college majors and career options.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Peer Tutor conducts tutoring sessions to help program participants develop the skills required to master academic course material in specific subjects such as Math, English, Science, etc. as stated by the Lead Tutor. Provide individual and small group tutoring to students after-school through homework help and/or class material review.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct academic tutoring sessions to help participants develop the skills required to master academic material
- Complete tutorial log daily and complete weekly reports
- Monitor the use of tutoring resources (laptops, calculators, books, etc.) during tutoring session
- Set up materials and prepare the classroom for the day's activities.
- Keep written logs of students' and observations and progress
- Communicate with Lead Tutor, Project Advisor, and Director concerning the participants
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in area of competency
- Basic to intermediate knowledge in target subject and have mastery of concepts that pertain to required subject
- Familiar with Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively tutor students and track academic progress
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Ability to be flexible in working during the required schedule
- Ability to mentor high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Ability to teach in other areas as needed to improve student’s subject comprehension
- Build rapport with students in all aspects
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for students transiting from High School to College
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the students
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.