Peer Tutor (As Needed - Upward Bound Sun Valley)
Youth Services | Sun Valley, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to the Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
Pay Rate: $9.00 hourly
The Peer Tutor is responsible for providing academic assistance to assigned tutorial students in a group or individual sessions. These sessions are designed to provide advisement on ways students can approach or solve coursework problem; demonstrate to students study techniques and test preparation that may improve grades. TheTutor serves as a motivator and mentor.
The Peer Tutor (as needed) position:
- Assist students in achieving a better understanding of a specific subject material
- Tutor Upward Bound participants in multiple subjects (math, science, English, foreign language and etc.)
- Assists Upward Bound participants with homework assignments/projects
- Maintains tutorial logs, sign in and completes progress evaluations when required
- Encourage students to continue their education beyond high school
- Meet with assigned Upward Bound Staff to provide update on the student's progress or address concerns
- At least a senior in high school at Polytechnic High School (have taken pre-calculus, biology, chemistry and other higher level math and science classes)
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Must submit a work permit
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer