Peer Support Specialist (HUD-VASH)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Department of Housing and Urban Development – VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program is an effort between VOALA, HUD, and the VA to move Veterans and their families out of homelessness and into permanent housing. The program provides housing assistance through a special Section 8 voucher program to allow homeless veterans to rent privately-owned housing.
HUD-VASH also provides long–term case management, clinical/supportive services, and permanent housing assistance for chronically homeless Veterans. Combines Housing Choice Voucher assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Share personal experiences, skills, strengths, supports and resources in your recovery from mental health and/or substance abuse issues
- Accompany participants to appointments and meetings, housing searches, voucher application/ issuance sessions, medical appointments, and any other client-centered activity
- Assist participants in developing recovery plans with the skills, strengths, supports and resources to aid them in achieving goals and plans; work with case manager and benefit team in needed steps for self-directed recovery
- Assist participants with setting up and sustaining self-help (mutual support) groups and with locating and joining existing groups
- Assist Benefit Specialist with helping the clients identify and eliminate barriers in order to submit applications for benefits
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate)
- Experience working with people dealing with recovery from mental health and/or substance abuse issues
- Experience working with the homelessness population
- Knowledge of the barriers of housing and the services available to people seeking adorable housing
- Basic computer and Microsoft skills: Words, Outlook, and Excel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interact positively with diverse groups of client population with varying education and economic backgrounds
- Dependable, prompt, client-focus, collaborative, prompt, positive mindset, flexible, and organized
- 1 years of experience working with veterans, people in recovery and/or homeless individuals
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related fields
- Experience connecting clients to community resources
- SOAR and DVA certified
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.