Peer Support Specialist - (DHS Benefits Advocacy LA)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
As a staff member of the treatment team, the Peer Support Specialist performs a wide range of tasks to assist peers in regaining independence within the community and mastery over their own recovery process. Based on similar experiences, this position offers the individuals empathy, support, and advice as challenges are faced along the way. The Peer Support Specialist adds experience-based competencies and real-world examples that complement the training and expertise of the clinical staff members.
The Peer Support Specialist will:
- Assist participants with life skills, strengths, supports and resources to aid them in achieving goals outlined in individual service plan
- Connect clients to community resources
- Assistance with locating clients
- Identity and eliminate barriers with housing and benefit applications. Which includes, accompanying/transporting participants to appointments, meetings, housing searches, voucher applications, issuance sessions, medical appointments, and any other client-centered activity.
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate)
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 1-3 years' experience working with veterans, people in recovery and/ or homeless individuals
- If recovery substance user must have 3 years sobriety
- Personal experience with homelessness; knowledge of the barriers to housing
- Knowledge of available resources in the area
- U. S. Armed Forces veteran preferred
- SOAR and DVA certified preferred
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record