Finance and Accounting | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
CORPORATE - Payroll Department
The Payroll Department is responsible for the prompt distribution to VOALA employees of earned wages and salaries, calculates VOALA pension contribution, and posting of payroll and tax files in appropriate secured databases. Semi-monthly wages are paid via issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts. The department maintains payroll information through collection, calculation, and entering of data; updates payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles, and department/division transfers.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Payroll Associate I assists the preparation of semi-monthly payrolls, implements timekeeping systems and answers employee inquiries related to pay and timekeeping.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train employees and supervisors on use of automated timekeeping process, validate entries for each payroll
- Verify missing punches, pending timesheet approvals, and pending PTO with supervisors during payroll process
- Verify OT and DT hours to make sure punches are inserted correctly during payroll process
- Prepares migration of work hours to HRIS system (UltiPro) for to generate payroll.
- Assist in semi-monthly payroll processing from HRIS system (UltiPro)
- Answer any pay/PTO related questions
- Input W4s
- Input Direct Deposits
- Hand deliver paychecks as directed
- Other tasks as may be directed by Director of Strategic Finance
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- Minimum One year of experience in payroll, bookkeeping, finance or accounting;
- OR Bachelor’s degree in related field in lieu of experience.
- Knowledge of federal and State labor laws, employee benefit plans, and payroll taxes
- Familiar with Microsoft operating system: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Skilled with automated timekeeping systems and HRIS applications
- Familiar with internet applications.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to work well with others – on own team and across departments
- Positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude that views challenges as opportunities
- Solid commitment to making sure things are done right and on time
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business preferred
- Previous experience using UltiPro HRIS software and NOVATime time and attendance software is preferred
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Familiar with Great Plain accounting software
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.