Payee Specialist (Representative Payee Services)
Adult Services | Compton, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE SERVICES
Payee Services helps homeless, formerly homeless, or at-risk of homelessness clients with managing their money and paying their bills on time. Payee Services helps clients and meets with them a minimum of once a month to do a mandatory budget.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Payee Specialist serves mentally and/or physically disabled clients by assisting them with the budgeting of their Supplemental Social Security and/or Social Security income (or other benefits they are receiving).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide payee support services to the mentally and/or physically disabled, homeless or near homeless, and aging clients to assist them with the budgeting of their Supplemental Social Security and/or Social Security income, and other benefits one may be entitled to as their Representative Payee as recognized by the Social Security Administration
- Data entry to E-Guardianship as well as HMIS
- Use benefits received for client to meet current needs with food, clothing and shelter
- Ensure clients’ bills are paid on time, process and mail all checks that are required to timely pay each assigned client’s bills
- Provide proper accounting to Social Security for the use of client’s benefit funding: responsible for completing and filing all necessary paperwork from the Social Security Administration (and other benefits providers), including yearly Representative Payee Reports.
- Responsible for the intake, processing and explaining of the Payee Services Program to the respective client
- Maintain accurate client notes and complete monthly budgets for each client to show how income will be distributed
- Assist VOALA and funder reconciliation and verification of payments as requested
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in social services, business, public relations, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience (4 years)
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in customer service
- Working knowledge of household budgeting
- Competent user of all MS Office Suite applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to handle budgets, finances and sensitive information
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to maintain accurate records and present data contained in those records in a timely manner
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Relates effectively with people
- Patient, understanding, creative, and flexible
- 1 year of experience working with the homeless or disabled
- Knowledge of communities where Payee Services are provided
- Accounting software experience, preferably E-Guardianship
- HMIS knowledge
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.