Outreach Worker - (Project Slate)
Adult Services | Compton, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Provide outreach and engagement to the homeless in the community and being release from incarceration.
- Conduct comprehensive screenings and assessments with homeless individuals to collect functional, environmental, employment, and housing needs.
- Provide service linkages and support systems for homeless individuals, to ensure identified needs are met, as well as coordinate and facilitate, service referrals.
- Make referrals to supportive services such as emergency shelter, veteran services, and substance abuse treatment.
- Provide supportive counseling and advocacy for individuals; if needed.
- Document and maintain all case files in physical files.
- Work in collaboration with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD), Community Transition Unit, and all reentry partners/designees.
- Transport participants to designated shelters and social services facilities
- Provide participant transportation
- Other duties assigned
High school diploma or GED
- 1 years’ experience working with re-entry individuals
- Demonstrate excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft office
- Excellent oral, written, organizational, and motivational skills
- Must have current valid California driver's license and clean driving record
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Ability to work holidays, nights and weekends
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation
Preferred Skills for this Position:
Bachelors degree preferred
Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
Ability and desire to work with people from various backgrounds