Outreach Worker - Office of Diversion and Reentry
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Office of Diversion and Reentry provides mentoring both pre and post release, case management, and transitional support services.
- Provide outreach and engagement to the homeless in the community and being release from incarceration.
- Conduct comprehensive screenings and assessments with homeless individuals to collect functional, environmental, employment, and housing needs.
- Provide service linkages and support systems for homeless individuals, to ensure identified needs are met, as well as coordinate and facilitate, service referrals.
- Make referrals to supportive services such as emergency shelter, veteran services, and substance abuse treatment.
- Provide supportive counseling and advocacy for individuals; if needed.
- Document and maintain all case files in physical files.
- Work in collaboration with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD), Community Transition Unit, and all reentry partners/designees.
- Transport participants to designated shelters and social services facilities
- Provide participant transportation from LA County Jail facilities to designated sites
- Other duties assigned
Required Background and Skills:
- 1 to 3 years’ experience working with homeless individuals
- Demonstrate excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft office
- Excellent oral, written, organizational, and motivational skills
- Must have current valid California driver's license and clean driving record
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Ability and desire to work with people from various backgrounds