Outreach Worker CES SPA 6 Adult
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Outreach Worker is responsible for promoting the program throughout the surrounding areas, targeting low-income households who are at risk of becoming homeless or are homeless and in need of housing stability. Conducts community outreach to develop resources to support homeless families. Part of a multi-disciplinary team that provides case management, housing referral, financial counseling and benefits services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides street outreach, engagement, crisis stabilization, trauma-informed case management, and referral services for clients and their families
- Conducts initial street screenings, immediate needs assessments, and crisis stabilization
- As a member of the program case management team, provides information referrals, crisis intervention, and assistance with permanent housing placement for participants
- Assists case managers in conducting the comprehensive screenings and assessments to collect functional, environmental, financial, employment, housing, educational, and health information, as appropriate, to develop an Individual Service Plan
- Coordinates follow-up services with case management team; records all services provided
- Performs tasks of Case Manager or Housing Specialist as needed
- Assists program staff in integrating development strategies and other evidence-informed practices to provide a holistic service approach including providing life skills through “teachable” moments
- Develop, perform, and assist with workshops pertaining to household needs
- Provide crisis intervention if needed, and make referrals to appropriate community resources
- Leads community outreach for program, represents VOALA at meetings of working groups specific to housing homeless veterans, attends Apartment and Relator Association meetings, develops community partners.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver’s license, acceptable proof of automobile insurance, and/or reliable mode of transportation
- Associate’s Degree in Social Services or related discipline
- OR equivalent combination of education and work experience (2 years)
- 1 year of experience working with Veterans, people in recovery and/or homeless population
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Work, Excel, Power Point)
- Familiar working with Electronic Health Record
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to develop relationships with program participants, their families, and landlords, as well as a variety of service stakeholders (schools, health and public benefit agencies).
- Strong written and oral skills in the English language, able to accurately complete required reports and data entry.
- Able to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Able to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Able to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County.
- Must be able to work effectively with people from all walks of life with compassion.
- Familiar with HMIS database
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.