Outreach Specialist-(Youth Build)
Adult Services | North Hollywood, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Provide outreach and engagement to the at risk youth who have dropped out of high school
- Conduct outreach events to recruit and empower youth who are eligible to enroll into Youth Build
- Conduct comprehensive screenings and assessments to youth who are interested in the Youth Build Program
- Provide service linkages and support systems for youth, to ensure identified needs are met, as well as coordinate and facilitate, service referrals.
- Make referrals to supportive services such as emergency shelter, veteran services, and substance abuse treatment.
- Provide supportive counseling and advocacy for individuals; if needed.
- Document and maintain all case files in physical files.
- Work in collaboration with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD), Community Transition Unit, and all reentry partners/designees.
- Transport participants to designated shelters and social services facilities
- Provide participant transportation
- Other duties assigned
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in the homelessness field, with priority given to those with experience working with runaway and homeless youth.
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work holidays, nights and weekends
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation preferred
Preferred Skills for this Position:
Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred