Outreach Specialist - (Jail In Reach)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides street outreach, engagement, crisis stabilization, trauma-informed case management, and referral services for runaway and homeless youth.
- Conducts initial street screenings, immediate needs assessments, and crisis stabilization.
- Assists in developing Individual Service Plans (ISP) and linkages with services, and maintaining accurate records of participant progress.
- Assists program staff in integrating positive youth development strategies and other evidence-informed practices to provide a holistic service approach including providing life skills through “teachable” moments.
- Provide crisis intervention if needed, and make referrals to appropriate community resources.
- Maintain complete client records, daily activity logs, mileage logs, HMIS, and other reports as directed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance, and reliable mode of transportation.
- Flexibility to work holidays, nights, and weekends as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in the homelessness field, with priority given to those that have experience working with runaway and homeless youth.
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft operating system navigation, office, outlook, word, excel, power-point, and internet browser.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Dependable, collaborative, reliable, prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized, and client focused.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Social Services, public administration, public health or related field.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
- Knowledge and experience working with and using HMIS software or programs.
- Knowledge and experience working with and using database software or programs.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.