Outreach Specialist-(Cal OES Homeless Youth Innovative Services)
Adult Services | Crewshaw, Los Angeles | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides street outreach, engagement, crisis stabilization, trauma-informed case management, and referral services for runaway and homeless youth
- Conducts initial street screenings, immediate needs assessments, and crisis stabilization
- Assists in developing Individual Service Plans (ISP) and linkages with services, and maintaining accurate records of participant progress
- Assists program staff in integrating positive youth development strategies and other evidence-informed practices to provide a holistic service approach including providing life skills through “teachable” moments
- Provide crisis intervention if needed, and make referrals to appropriate community resources
- Maintain complete client records, daily activity logs, mileage logs, HMIS, and other reports as directed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in the homelessness field, with priority given to those that have experience working with runaway and homeless youth
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle
- Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Words, Excel, and Outlook
- Flexibility to work holidays, nights, and weekends as needed
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance, and reliable mode of transportation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.