Outreach Specialist-(Cal OES Homeless Youth Innovative Services)
Adult Services | Crewshaw, Los Angeles | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Provides street outreach, engagement, crisis stabilization, trauma-informed case management, and referral services for runaway and homeless youth.
- Conducts initial street screenings, immediate needs assessments and crisis stabilization.
- Assists in developing Individual Service Plans and linkages with services, and maintaining accurate records of participant progress.
- Assists program staff in integrating positive youth development strategies and other evidence-informed practices to provide a holistic service approach including providing life skills through “teachable” moments
- Provide crisis intervention if needed, and make referrals to appropriate community resources
- Maintain complete client records, daily activity logs, mileage logs, HMIS and other reports as directed
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in the homelessness field, with priority given to those with experience working with runaway and homeless youth.
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work holidays, nights and weekends
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation preferred
Preferred Skills for this Position:
Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred