Outreach Recruiter Part Time Temporary Upward Bound Los Angeles
Adult Services | East Los Angeles, CA | Part Time and Temporary
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The VOALA Upward Bound program serves students at Roosevelt High, Dorsey High, Crenshaw High, Washington Preparatory, Leuzinger, North Hollywood High, San Fernando High, Polytechnic High, Sun Valley and Westminster High. Upward Bound provides fundamental education support and preparation for college. Serving more than 500 students annually from low-income families and/or high school students from families in which neither parent holds a college degree.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. We provide after-school academic instruction in core subjects and foreign languages, as well as PSAT, SAT, and ACT test preparation. Career exploration and mentoring are also an integral component to assist participants in deciding on potential college majors and career options.
We also provide college and career planning workshops, a summer program, individualized academic planning and counseling, financial aid advising, scholarship and application assistance, supplemental Saturday instruction and weekly tutoring as well as college and cultural field trips and an alumni program.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The UBLA Outreach Recruiter is responsible for assisting with recruitment of new participants for enrollment in the Volunteers of America Upward Bound Program. The recruitment process will be done virtually.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the development and implementation of a recruitment plan to meet the enrollment goal.
- Schedule outreach contacts with teachers from target schools for virtual presentations.
- Ensure digital applications are available for perspective applicants.
- Assist with the development of videos to advertise program benefits.
- Promote incentive opportunities to create student interests.
- Meet with team members to evaluate recruitment plan and determine the plan effectiveness.
- Schedule and conduct parent and student interviews virtually to determine student need for the services of the program.
- Coordinate and submit application documents for Director’s approval.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Current college Junior or higher with a focus on education, counseling, or social work.
- Experience providing service to low-income first-generation youth.
- Experience performing intake assessments.
- Experience Providing outreach and information dissemination.
- Experience identifying youth for special projects.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge in education, counseling, or social work
- Excellent Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Ability to be flexible in working during the required schedule
- Ability to mentor high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Build rapport with students in all aspects
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for students transiting from High School to College
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the students
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.