Office Assistant (Pathways to Home)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Pathways to Home
Pathways is the largest homeless shelter in Los Angeles, providing a diverse group of services, including: Comprehensive Case Management Services, Affordable Housing Assistance, Transitional Housing Programs, Permanent Housing Placements, JWCH Mobile Clinic, Department of Health Services, USC-HIV Study/Prevention.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Office Assistant performs administrative functions and is the primary point of contact to coordinate orientation and intake for all incoming client referrals. This role will also include front desk communications by managing all incoming calls from outside agencies, and will also be responsible for scheduling appointments, receiving walk-in guests, and answering emails.
Other duties may also involve work as a receptionist.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform general office duties such as identifying and organizing documents for electronic archiving, photocopying, validating referrals, and email communications.
- Answer phones and take messages.
- Destruction of documents by shredding.
- Perform detailed data audits by reconciling the information on the program roster, intake log, emergency bed log and after-hours log.
- Compute, record, and/or proofread data and other information, such as records or reports.
- Compile information and prepare forms and maintain records as needed.
- Data entry and organize materials.
- Other duties as assigned and is subject to change at any time.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate).
- Minimum of 1-year experience in an administrative office environment or in a course of study that requires attention to detail.
- Knowledge of office procedures and basic budgeting principles.
- Working knowledge of file navigation and archiving to network locations.
- Basic computer and Microsoft operating system navigation.
- Experienced and familiarity working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working independently or in a team environment.
- Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized, and client focused.
- Minimum of 1-year experience in an administrative office environment.
- Valid California driver's license, adequate proof of automotive insurance, and/or access to reliable transportation.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (Written and verbal).
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.