Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Long Beach, CA | Full Time | From $29.57 to $31.13 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA operates two kitchens in support our programs, providing meals for our participants:
- Lankershim Kitchen
- Long Beach Kitchen
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Reporting to the Food Service Program Manager, the Nutrition Supervisor shall lead and coordinate the efforts of the assigned kitchen operated by VOALA, bringing a passion for fresh, wholesome food prepared at our designated kitchens. The Nutrition Supervisor shall supervise food preparation, storage and inventory. This position requires a commitment to safe and sanitary kitchen operations, overseeing delivery of prepared meals to satellite locations, and collaboration with the Nutrition Coordinator/Registered Dietician (Children Services) in the preparation of menus designed to meet the dietary needs of the clients served. The Nutrition Supervisor shall oversee: that the menus executed by the Nutrition Team meet the menus requirements; that all inventory is maintained as required to support operations and delivery to the Children Services Sites and other designated facilities; and that all health, regulatory, training, and safety requirements are met in each kitchen and delivery location. The Nutrition Supervisor will work in collaboration with the Nutrition teams at the assigned kitchens to ensure day to day attention is provided to meet all requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute the relevant Nutrition Services plans/Food Service plans supported by the assigned VOALA kitchen(s) to meet the unique requirements of each program.
- Inspect that the assigned Kitchen(s) and delivery locations are maintained and operated in a safe and sanitary manner that meets and exceeds the local and state regulatory requirements for food services.
- Enforce standards and procedures for preparing and delivering meals to sites, to include continuous review of procedures to meet best practices and continuous improvement.
- Ensure all kitchen staff assigned to the kitchen(s) have a current food handler permits. (CFH Card)
- Assist with the monitoring of kitchen operations and coach and train staff as needed.
- Supports central purchasing for meals and keeps purchase orders and billing records in proper order.
- Maintains inventory records, ensuring freshness of food, and reduction of waste.
- Conducts follow-through as assigned to ensure:
- Adequate staff coverage consistent with schedules
- Meals are transported consistent with health and safety procedures
- Work with kitchen leads to ensure the assigned kitchens are in sanitary and safe condition.
- Oversee kitchen operations to ensure staff are using safety precautions at all times.
- Oversee delivery drivers and coordinate driver schedules, ensuring safe vehicle operations and food handling.
- Other tasks as directed and needed.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment.
- Must have health examination at the time of employment and verification of:
- T.B. clearance issued within six (6) months prior to employment
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- CFH Card
- CPR and First Aid certificates
- And Completion of at least 12 units in Food Preparation, Nutrition, and/or Dietetics within one year of hire.
- Four years of experience in food preparation.
- One year of lead experience in food services, including maintaining inventory, record-keeping and coaching
- Knowledge of kitchen business and management principles including; coordination of people and resources; production methods; and leadership and management skills
- Training in nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Skills in Microsoft Operating System, including Office, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, Database experience.
- Knowledge of the use of technology for procurement, budgeting and scheduling.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise kitchen staff in safe and productive operations
- Ability to train Nutrition Staff, Cooks, Assistant Cooks and Drivers.
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interact with children in a very busy environment; therefore, must be physically able to perform lifting (50 lbs.), squatting/kneeling, and move quickly
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Culinary degree preferred
- Completion of a Certified Dietary Management program preferred
- CFSM Certificate preferred
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.