Nutrition Coordinator (EHS - South Bay)
Children's Services | South Bay, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm.
For children under three years of age and their parents we offer early education, child development, nutrition and parenting support. All children receive educational experiences that are developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate. The focus is on readiness to move to kindergarten. Literacy, numeracy, and social/emotional development are areas measured for growth and development.
- Provides technical assistance to program staff working directly with children and families;
- Oversees the obtaining of complete nutrition and dental history/screening for each child;
- Oversees and approves all menus which meet the USDA guidance;
- Assist staff in the obtaining or arranging for treatment of all nutrition services for children, including follow-up treatment;
- Develops policies and procedures for responding to nutrition emergencies;
- Reviews, evaluates, interprets and maintains nutrition records, vital statistics and other data affecting health services in order to assess needs to plan and implement special programs or activities to meet these needs;
- Counsels parents concerning specific family nutrition concerns and integrates these as part of the Family Partnerships Agreements developed by the family;
- Reviews and evaluates nutrition services activities to ensure compliance with performance standards and other state and local regulations;
- Under the supervision of a physician, provides general nutrition assessment and treatment based upon standardized procedures to children;
- Identifies and work with program families to meet special dietary needs, including food allergies;
- Conducts nutritional training's and workshops to parents and staff;
- Works in partnerships with staff, parent policy council. parents consultants, volunteers, program staff, etc.;
- Provide oversight of registered dietitian consultant;
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science degree in Dietetics, Public Health, Nutrition or Community Nutrition from an accredited four-year college.
- 2 years of experience in community nutrition or related areas.
- Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment;
- Able to interact with children in a very busy environment
- Must be physically able to perform lifting (50 lbs.), squatting/ kneeling and move quickly
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Master's degree in Dietetics, Public Health, Nutrition or Community Nutrition from an accredited four-year college or related field a plus
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (Written and verbal) desirable
- Must have access to an automobile with adequate insurance coverage and valid California driver's license.