Nutrition Aide Substitute (Head Start - Long Beach)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Long Beach, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm (10-1/2 months per year).
Substitutes are called to work on an as-needed basis
The Nutrition Aide performs the following:
- Prepares main dishes, vegetables, deserts and snacks for infants and toddlers according to menus, recipes and individual children’s needs and instructions
- Washes and cleans cooking utensils and equipment; maintains a safe and sanitary food service environment
- Orders food supplies and manages storage of supplies according to established procedures
- Maintains inventory and inventory records of food service items and supplies
- Works closely with nutrition consultant to standardize recipes as needed
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be able to read and write English legibly
- Must have general knowledge of current health and nutrition concepts
- Fingerprint clearances required prior to employment
- Valid California driver's license and access to automobile with adequate insurance (or have easy access to other means of reliable transportation) to make home visits and travel to other school sites
- Proof of TB clearance within 6 months prior to employment
- Physical examination at the time of employment
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs on a regular basis; must be able to stand constantly
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Food service experience preferred
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) desirable.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.