Nutrition Aide I Substitute (North Hollywood)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | North Hollywood, CA | Temporary
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm (10-1/2 months per year).
The Nutrition Aide performs the following:
- Prepares main dishes, vegetables, deserts and snacks for infants and toddlers according to menus, recipes and individual children’s needs and instructions
- Washes and cleans cooking utensils and equipment; maintains a safe and sanitary food service environment
- Orders food supplies and manages storage of supplies according to established procedures
- Maintains inventory and records of supplies and food service items including quantities and specifications
- Attend meetings as designated by agency and/or as deemed necessary by supervisor
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to obtain a food hand's permit
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be able to read and write and have general knowledge of current health and nutrition concepts
- Food service experience is desired but not required
- Must be able to work harmoniously with others and work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Fingerprint clearances required prior to employment
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) desirable.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.