Nutrition Aide As Needed Long Beach
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Long Beach, CA | Part Time | From $16.43 to $17.21 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA services for children place an emphasis on Education, Literacy, and Health. The skills and confidence gained from our programs promote a stable home life and ensure a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Working closely with the family unit and the community itself, we encourage the development of a positive narrative for our children providing internal voices of confidence, kindness, hope and accountability to building a stronger future.
VOALA operates two kitchens in support our programs, providing meals for our participants:
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
This position will have the responsibility of preparing all meals and packaging them for delivery to all the program sites and clean up after the food has been prepared. The nutrition aide also maintains food production and follows regulations required by the programs, agency, and State/Federal agencies such as CACFP and Head Start.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will have the responsibility of preparing all meals and packaging them for delivery to all the program sites and clean up after the food has been prepared. The Nutrition Aide I also maintains food production and follows regulations required by the programs, agency, and State/Federal agencies such as CACFP and Head Start.
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, for on-premises dining and delivery to remote sites.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning;
- monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring;
- regulate cooking temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- properly package meals for delivery as required.
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Perform regular kitchen and storage area clean up: sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill. Maintain highest levels of sanitation as required by local and government regulations.
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Must be able to read and write legibly in English and have general knowledge of current health and nutrition concepts.
- First Aid/CPR certified
- Food handler certification
- On the job training provided
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Excellent computer skills
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal,
- state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be able to work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs on a regular basis and up to 50lbs as necessary.
- Dependable, collaborative, punctual, positive mindset, flexible, and organized.
- High School Diploma
- Certifications in public health, Nutrition education, Food safety, or related field.
- Work experience in Head Start/Early Head Start programs.
- Knowledge of CA driving laws.
- Knowledge of nutrition practices and allergy restrictions/food substitutions.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or other language i.e. Armenian or Farsi.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Works well in a team and independently.
- Promotes nutrition curriculum, activities, and initiatives.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.