Nutrition Aide As Needed Head Start North Hollywood
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | North Hollywood, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA services for children place an emphasis on Education, Literacy, and Health. The skills and confidence gained from our programs promote a stable home life and ensure a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Working closely with the family unit and the community itself, we encourage the development of a positive narrative for our children providing internal voices of confidence, kindness, hope and accountability to building a stronger future.
HEAD START/EARLY HEAD START PROGRAM
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (infant – 5 years old) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
This position will have the responsibility of preparing all meals and packaging them for delivery to all the program sites and clean up after the food has been prepared. The nutrition aide also maintains food production and follows regulations required by the programs, agency, and State/Federal agencies such as CACFP and Head Start.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares main dishes, vegetables, deserts and snacks for children ages 1 -11 according to menu, recipes, CACFP regulations, and individual children’s needs and instructions.
- Wash and clean cooking utensils, equipment and maintain a safe and sanitary food service environment.
- Order food supplies and manage the storage of items according to established procedures.
- Maintain an inventory and record of food service items including quantities and specifications.
- Attend meetings and trainings as designated by agency and/or as deemed necessary by Supervisor.
- Monitor Food allergies
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Must be able to read and write legibly in English and have general knowledge of current health and nutrition concepts.
- First Aid/CPR certified
- Food handler certification
- On the job training provided
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Excellent computer skills
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal communication, can set priorities, handle multiple tasks, problem solve, and demonstrate decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs on a regular basis and up to 50lbs as necessary.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with and without reasonable accommodation including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- Excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge of CA driving laws.
- Knowledge of nutrition practices and allergy restrictions/food substitutions.
- Promotes nutrition curriculum, activities, and initiatives.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.