Nursing Services Coordinator - (Veteran Clinical Services)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Veteran Clinical Services provides a Housing First Model of care and the typical Veteran enrolled in these programs has been chronically homeless and may struggle with active substance abuse, complex medical problems and mental illness.
- Designs and provides a comprehensive health services program which includes a broad range of medical services including assisting clients and disabled veterans with physical and emotional needs
- Promotes preventive health services and early intervention for health care and concerns
- Establishes and implements processes for disease prevention and control of communicable diseases
- Provides clients with the necessary skills and insights to assist in linking link them to an ongoing health care system
- Ensures that clients continue to receive comprehensive health care even after leaving the program
- Uses techniques and resources for best practices in assessing and evaluating health needs of clients in a community setting
- Provides consultation and technical assistance to program staff
- The Nurse works closely with their VOA multidisciplinary team and VA Primary Medical Care Team to ensure care coordination of population served.
- The nurse provides intensive nursing case management supportive services and complex care coordination for Veterans enrolled in VA homeless programs.
- Conduct health related educational group meetings as needed
- Nurse provides nursing-related services in community and/or transitional housing setting to Veterans who are homeless or working toward stable housing such as Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and coordinating care with the case management team
- Nurse is responsible for tracking and ensuring completion of clinical reminders for enrolled VASH clients, and other documentation specific to the veteran residential programs.
- Responsible for ensuring accurate reporting of medication disbursement
- Leads the medication tracking systems, ensuring compliance, accurate reconciliation of the medication log/medications, and continuous quality improvement of systems
- Nurse will assist in linking Veterans to medical service providers in the VA and other health systems
- Educates the case management staff in the areas of Veterans health care needs and resources.
- Nurse is responsible for completing other medical reports like medical treatment plans, as needed by veteran residential programs.
- Will be responsible to provide services both at various residential facilities and/or clients home throughout LA County; will drive own car or company vehicle if available
- Current and valid California license (Registered Nurse or Public Health Nurse)
- A registered nurse with the State of California with 2-3+ years of nursing practice/experience with a Diploma in Nursing (or above); Preferred, Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Nurse Science, or Public Health Administration (or closely related field)
- Must pass VOALA required vehicle and driving clearances
- Effective and compassionate communication skills orally and in writing with diverse people of all ages, backgrounds, jobs and levels
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Will be required to get federal clearance through VA
- Experience working with homeless/high need populations
- Knowledge of state and federal laws governing health services required
- Knowledge of principles, techniques, methods, and procedures of current nursing practices
- Current First Aid and CPR certification preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish – written and oral) preferred
- Valid California driver’s license and good driving record; automobile with adequate insurance coverage
- Must be able to perform lifting (up to 50 lbs) and to bend, stoop and walk frequently
- Familiarity with Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) and other VA data tracking systems preferred
- Experience with Veteran population preferred