Monitor - (Hollywood Veteran Center)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Hollywood Veterans Center is a residential facility for veterans of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars that are experiencing severe levels of difficulty readjusting to civilian life. Residents have the goal of obtaining permanent housing, financial security, and a personal support system. What makes the program unique is individualized approach and focus on compassion and tolerance: we will emphasize service that builds personal growth, self-determination, and community reinforcement; we will take measures to ensure family preservation and/or reunification; and we will recognize and celebrate the achievements of the individual.
The Veteran Center Monitor assists in monitoring the facility and clients with respect and compassion while ensuring client safety and security.
- Monitor assists the Program Manager with maintaining safety and cleanliness of the facility. Most importantly, the monitor provides support for facility residents and treats residents with dignity and respect
- Monitors clients to ensure they are safe and program compliant. This may include asking residents to perform their chores and/or attend mandated groups
- Answers telephones, checks medication and sign out log books, and types of shift reports of activities and/or incidences that occurred while on duty
- Conducts hourly walk through of the facility, and room inspections, bed checks, and urinalysis and breathalyzer tests as needed
- Maintains cleanliness of the facility by physically sweeping, mopping, and other forms of upkeep in order to turn over a clean facility to the relieving monitor and keep a professional looking work environment
- Handles resident meals, signs for deliveries, issues resident mail, and ensures that packing slips and invoices are filed
- Oversees resident medication compliance and reports non-compliance to resident’s case manager, and program manager
- Other duties as assigned by program manager
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum 1 year experience in clerical position
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proven ability to do basic arithmetic
- Able to communicate clearly, effectively, and compassionately with others.
- US Armed Forces Veteran preferred
- Experience with administering prescription medications and drug/alcohol usage testing desirable
- Experience in working with veterans
- Peer support certification