Monitor FT- (Family Emergency Shelter)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Family Emergency Housing program provides emergency housing to 8 -10 families at a time. We provide housing for 90 days as well as case management, referrals to benefits, housing, and help with job search. The program goal is to obtain permanent housing for each family within 90 days.
The Family Emergency Shelter Monitor assists in monitoring the facility and clients with respect and compassion while ensuring client safety and security. This position:
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of Family Emergency Shelter participants, employees, guest and property.
- Responsible to use equipment such as alarms, cameras, motion sensors and radios to identify and respond to crimes, fire, medical emergencies and noise.
- Patrol premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates, etc. walking the facility and making reports as needed.
- Monitor clients and conduct room checks; maintain records
- Answer telephones and take messages for clients and staff, monitor doors and greet visitors
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, participants, visitors, guest and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Inputs required data to computer systems and logs
- Oversees preparation and serving of meals
- Responsible to complete written reports and incidents logs of daily activities and irregularities, such as: unusual occurrences, equipment or property damage, theft, and presence of unauthorized persons.
- Call police or fire department in cases of emergency: such as fire or presence of unauthorized clients/persons.
- Maintain office housekeeping; verifies all common areas, laundry areas and restrooms are clean and disinfected & fully operational.
- Provide crisis intervention as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a foreign citizen authorized to legally work in the United States
- Must not use illegal drugs. Must be able to pass a drug test with negative results (except when undergoing documented medical treatment)
- Must be able to work weekends, nights and holidays
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verification, and Department of Motor Vehicle
- Must have TB clearance
- Must be punctual, reliable and have the ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and to write clearly to be able to complete required paperwork.
- Must be able to perform basic arithmetic (to count)
- Must be able to work effectively with people from all walks of life with compassion, to be covered by VOA's insurance carrier
- Ability and willingness to work as a team member and support the mission and goals of Family Emergency Shelter
- Must be able to lift, squat, kneel, bend and walk continuously
- Able to communicate clearly, effectively, and compassionately with other
- Basic computer skills