Monitor - Day shift - (Billets)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans' services, homeless shelters, and low-income housing as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
A “Housing First” program, designed to provide stable residency to homeless and soon–to–be homeless Veterans. Residents are assisted in reducing the harm associated with chronic substance abuse, homelessness, and mental health issues. Includes on–site housing, case management, and supportive services.
The Monitor at The Billets
- Provides reminders and prompts to veterans about respecting house rules and taking care of their ADLs (e.g. showering, eating, etc.) using respectful language, and refraining from punishment
- Informs case managers and clinical team about rule violations and non-compliance and allows designated staff to counsel the individual on the matter and apply adverse consequences
- Maintains and enforces check in/out procedure with residents and accounts for all clients' whereabouts on property
- Performs hourly bed checks to ensure accountability and client safety and monitors camera surveillance at all times
- Responds to emergencies by contacting police, hospital, and program manager
- Oversees operations at the front desk including answering the phone and completing telephone intakes, providing referrals, assisting with client requests, monitoring front door, client medication (after hours/weekends), crisis intervention, etc.
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 year experience in mental health, substance abuse treatment and/or homelessness
- Live Scan Fingerprint clearances required prior to employment
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- If a recovering alcohol and/ or drug user, must have at least 1 year of continuous sobriety
- Respectful methods for reminding veterans about expectations and rules without engaging in argumentative behavior
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- 1 year of experience in residential treatment setting preferred
- Experience with Veterans preferred
- Experience with administering prescription medications and drug/alcohol usage testing desirable
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.