Monitor – As-Needed (VS90 – SITH)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VS–90 provides transitional housing to male Veterans who are on parole or probation. The goal of the program is for the client to transition into independent housing with sound financial planning skills and reduced institutional thinking. Services include case management, individual and group therapy, job referrals, and counseling regarding benefits and money management. This is a sober living program lasting six months (can be extended to 2 years).
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Monitor is the entry level position that works to provide security of the program premises, and safety for program clients, visitors and employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrol premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates, etc. walking the facility and making reports as needed.
- Monitor clients and conduct room checks; maintain records of client compliance of program rules report to clinical/case management staff, assist clinical/case management staff as required.
- Answer telephones and take messages for clients and staff, monitor doors and greet visitors
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, participants, visitors, guest and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises; under supervision, conduct limited searches to ensure safety of all persons on the premises
- Inputs required data to computer systems and logs
- Responsible to complete written reports and incidents logs of daily activities and irregularities, such as: unusual occurrences, equipment or property damage, theft, and presence of unauthorized persons.
- Call police or fire department in cases of emergency: such as fire or presence of unauthorized clients/persons.
- Maintain office housekeeping; verifies all common areas, laundry areas and restrooms are clean and disinfected & fully operational.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verification.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Six months in the security field or six months working with the target population, or a combination of both totaling six months experience.
- Basic Microsoft operating system skills: Outlook, Office, Word, Excel.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule (evenings and weekends required)
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Patient, able to be a calming influence in stressful situations.
- An U.S. Veteran.
- Any experience working with U.S Armed Forces Veterans, homelessness, re-entry population, substance abuse patients, and/or at-risk youth.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
- Familiarity with and using HMIS software or programs.
- Familiarity with and using Database software programs.
- Valid California driver’s license, acceptable proof of automobile insurance, and/or reliable mode of transportation.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.