Monitor As-Needed (VS-21)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VS–21 is sober program for young, sober Veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan without dependents. We provide transitional housing, case management and meals while addressing challenges such as unemployment, addiction, mental illness, and homelessness. The goal is to get young Veterans back into society with the knowledge and resources necessary to function independently and assisting homeless veterans with permanent housing, benefits, employment, medical support, financial literacy, social skills and much more while in a transitional housing environment.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The VS-21 Monitor assists the Program Supervisor with maintaining the facility and providing support for facility clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides general oversight to assure that safety and well-being of program participants.
- Oversees front desk operations including answering phones, completing phone intakes, monitoring front door, handling crisis intervention, and other required tasks.
- Provides respectful reminders and prompts to participants regarding house rules and personal attention to activities of daily living
- Communicates with case management and clinical team about violations and participant non-compliance for handling by designated staff
- Maintains check-in/out procedures with residents; accounts for all residents while on VOALA property
- Performs bed checks and monitors surveillance cameras
- Responds to emergencies by contacting ambulance, police, program manager, or other parties as warranted
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time.
Formal education, diplomas, degrees, licenses and/or certifications.
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate).
- Must be over the age of 18 years.
Type and number of years of directly related work experience.
- Minimum I year of experience working in a residential treatment center or related field.
Skills required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Basic computer skills with familiarity with Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, internet browser, etc.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
Skills and abilities required to meet the essential functions of the position – what one does.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Client- focused, prompt, collaborative, team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate.
- Experience working with U.S Armed Forces Veterans.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
- Experience with administering prescription medications and drug/alcohol usage testing.
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.