Monitor (As Needed) - The Billets Safe Haven
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans' services, homeless shelters, and low-income housing as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Billets Safe Haven at Gateways A “Housing First” program, designed to provide stable residency to homeless and soon–to–be homeless Veterans. Residents are assisted in reducing the harm associated with chronic substance abuse, homelessness, and mental health issues. Includes on–site housing, case management, and supportive services
This is an As Needed Position
- Provides reminders and prompts to veterans about respecting house rules and taking care of their ADLs (e.g. showering, eating, etc) using respectful language, and refraining from punishment
- Informs case managers and clinical team about rule violations and non-compliance and allows designated staff to counsel the individual on the matter and apply aversive consequences
- Maintains and enforces check in/out procedure with residents and accounts for all clients' whereabouts on property
- Performs hourly bed checks to ensure accountability and client safety and monitors camera surveillance at all times
- Responds to emergencies by contacting police, hospital, and program manager
- Oversees operations at the front desk including answering the phone and completing telephone intakes, providing referrals, assisting with client requests, monitoring front door, client medication (after hours/weekends), crisis intervention, etc
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 year experience in mental health, substance abuse treatment and/or homelessness
- 1 year of experience in residential treatment setting preferred.
- Experience with Veterans preferred
- If a recovering alcohol and/or drug user, must have at least 1 year of continuous sobriety
- Experience with administering prescription medications and drug/alcohol usage testing desirable
- Respectful methods for reminding veterans about expectations and rules without engaging in argumentative behavior.
- Performs additional duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring efficiency and effective functioning of cottage units.
- Must pass Criminal Background Check