Mentor Specialist - (Second Chance Mentoring)
Adult Services | South Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Second Chance Mentoring is an initiative designed to help men and women ages 18 and older who are transitioning back into their community from prison. The program's goal is to reduce the high percentage of persons who repeatedly return to prison. The role of the case manager will be to build rapport with the participants, track participant progress and provide an environment conducive to a successful reentry that leads to self-sufficiency and success.
- Recruit, interview and train selected mentors to prepare them for a mentoring relationship.
- Establish and build relationships with the community
- Monitor and support one to one mentor relationships offering coaching, teaching and assisting in goal setting, advocating for the needs of the returning citizen and supporting the mentor/mentee match to accomplish program goals through case management
- Provide ongoing support, assistance and motivation to mentors
- Conduct routine meetings with mentors and review mentor/mentee activity logs for accuracy and consistency
- Document and report progress of participants
- Collaborate with matched mentor to ensure support of participant goals.
- Assist in conflict mediation and problem-solving as needed
- Create and maintain relationships with outside agencies that serve as advocates and resources for Second Chance participants
- Complete all required mentor screening paperwork
- Maintain accurate records and outcomes
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 1 - 3 years experience working as a case management services (preferred)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- Must be comfortable and able to work with ex-offender population
- Must be willing to travel 25% of the time
- Valid California driver's license, dependable transportation, and adequate vehicle insurance
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer