Marriage and Parenting Group Facilitator Fatherhood FIRE
Adult Services | Compton, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
ACF FATHERHOOD PROGRAM
South Los Angeles Fatherhood FIRE Healthy Relationship, Parenting and Economic Stability Program
- To provide a broad array of services to promote or sustain healthy marriage and relationships (including couple and co-parenting), strengthen positive father-child engagement, and improve employment and economic stability opportunities for adult fathers (ages 18 and older). Economic stability activities include employment, job-driven, and job skills development.
- Support and provide Responsible Fatherhood activities in all three authorized categories (i.e., Promote or Sustain Healthy Marriage, Responsible Parenting, and Economic Stability) to all eligible adult fathers, particularly those who are low-income.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Marriage and Parenting Group Facilitator monitors and leads participants in Marriage, Parenting and Economic Stability education and life skills education groups (as appropriate). Expected to guide and motivate group participants through various group discussion of related topics, and foster the growth and development of all group participants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate group education sessions (“24/7 Dad” and “On My Shoulders”) with the following goals:
- improved healthy relationship and marriage skills;
- improved parenting and co-parenting skills;
- Improved quality of father-child engagement;
- increased frequency of father/child engagement;
- increased financial responsibility of fathers;
- progress toward greater economic stability, including increased skill attainment and employment; and
- reduced recidivism (as appropriate).
- Document and chart group education sessions clearly and concisely
- Interact with staff and participants, providing guidance and assistance as per program rules and procedures
- Maintain currency in best practices and knowledge of Marriage, Parenting and Economic Stability strategies
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor's Degree in social work, social services, public administration, public health or related field (or a combination of education and experience may be considered, totaling 4 years).
- 2 years’ experience in sessions of “24/7 Dad” and “On My Shoulders” or related programs, or be a Certified Counselor by a State of California accrediting organization
- Understanding of and familiarity with Group Programs for marriage, parenting and related issues
- Understanding of child development
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, including Outlook, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Have positive communication with children and other family members
- Teaching children to problem solve
- Setting limits and using non-violent discipline techniques
- Rebuilding and developing trust
- Enhancing family relationships
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for clients.
- Apply principles of professional boundaries and ethics to on the job situations
- Able to de-escalate threatening/volatile situations with clients, or in the workplace
- Understanding and experience working with recovering individuals and their impacted family members
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.