Maintenance Assistant I SCADP Downey
Adult Services | Downey, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Maintenance - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The Maintenance Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to our communities’ most vulnerable by ensuring all residential, office, classroom and other facilities meet all safety and regulatory requirements.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Reporting to a Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Assistant I has responsibility for minor repairs and regular building and grounds maintenance for the assigned complex. This position requires the ability to work independently and with flexible hours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains the interior and exterior of assigned buildings, parking lots and grounds in good condition
- Performs or assists in execution of minor repairs that might include the following: Carpentry, Plumbing, Interior painting, Refurbishing and cleaning, Landscape and irrigation systems. Handles basic maintenance and repair tasks independently, may be part of a team on more complex tasks.
- Follows daily maintenance checklist provided by supervisor; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in maintenance store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms
- Checks buildings for any safety concerns; understands and carries out VOALA, federal and other governmental regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver’s license, acceptable proof of automobile insurance, and/or reliable mode of transportation
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in facilities maintenance or construction
- Familiar with preventive maintenance
- Familiar with OSHA regulations
- Knowledge of use and care of hand and power tools
- Knowledge of use of landscaping hand and power tools
- Working knowledge of building codes and quality aspects of building maintenance
- Working understanding of all areas of property and building maintenance and repair
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Able to work independently
- Able to read building plans
- Able to understand written instructions, work orders, and inspection reports
- Ability to proficiently use an extensive range of maintenance tools and equipment, specifically those needed for major repairs of apartment complex
- Ability to consistently perform tasks with quality consistent with experience and skills, in a professional and timely manner Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Mission - focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable.
- Formal training in a Construction Trade specialty (plumbing, electrical, masonry, carpentry, HVAC, etc.)
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.