Leave of Absence Total Rewards Associate
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
As part of the HR Total Rewards team, the Leave of Absence / Total Rewards Associate I (LOA/TR Associate I) will provide support to the LOA team, assisting the Human Resources department in providing benefits administration, focusing on administration of the Leave of Absence program. The LOA/TR Associate I will also support the Total Rewards team performing job postings, and other tasks as directed. This is a hands-on position that will assist in the day-to-day operations of both the LOA and TR efforts, by performing the following duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LOA Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with HR LOA Representative and Benefits Manager to manage LOA cases.
- Assist with monitoring and tracking of LOAs using reporting and notices from TPA.
- Assist with communication of LOA status to Employee Relations team and field supervisors.
- Assist with calculating and preparing payroll for people on LOA and submit to HR LOA Representative for review before sending Payroll Dept. to be processed.
- Create digital LOA folders to capture updates and notes.
- Generate manual check request as needed and update payroll log/report.
- Coordinate with Benefits Analyst/ Benefits Supervisor when employees on leave are responsible for benefit premiums
- Intermittent Leaves – Pull dates employees on ILOA have reported to TPA and add to payroll log for processing and pay.
- WC – Coordinate with WC Team to pay employees on WC LOA when applicable.
- In coordination with HR LOA Representative, use reports from TPA and HRIS to ensure all employees on LOA that are eligible for pay while on LOA are captured and paid.
- Mail merge – Once data has been entered and reviewed, transfer data from payroll log to timesheets that will be sent to Payroll Dept. for processing using mail merge
Day to Day Task
- Monitor leaves inbox
- Notifications from @Cignaleavesolutions
- Create electronic LOA folders upon receiving new claim from TPA
- Create and enter page for notes/timeline for each leave
- Action Items
- Follow up with ER when questions need answers. Work with HR LOA Rep as needed to provide answers.
- Follow up with EE regarding LOA questions and RTW/Leave Extension
- Send LOA Pay and Benefits form to EE on leave
RTW Follow up
- Check with Cigna on medical clearance for RTW
- Follow up with EE on RTW (full or modified duty) or extension of leave
- Communicate to ER any updates on EE on leave
- Update Ulti – Change RTW dates or status as updates come in.
Total Rewards Tasks
- Process Job Requisitions from Programs and Corporate
- Post Job Notices
- Coordinate with Recruiting as required
- Monitor and update JobScore
- Assist Total Rewards projects
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (4 years of relevant experience / coursework)
- Six months of general HR experience in a large organization (500+ employees)
- Six months of familiarity with Leave of Absence or Total Rewards for a large employer (500+ employees)
- Working knowledge of California and Federal employment laws and requirements.
- Knowledge of benefits administration, including FMLA, HIPAA, ERISA, COBRA, LOA, ADA/ interactive process.
- Understanding of VOALA mission, and ethos as a “second-chance” employer
- Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Working skill with Web-based applications and databases, specifically HRIS and Timekeeping programs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to research complex questions and develop effective solutions.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to be flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability and desire to work with people from various backgrounds and/or limited English capabilities at all levels within an organization – front line staff to senior leaders
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative employees in a service oriented, second-chance non-profit organization.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Systematic and organized approach to projects and day-to-day responsibilities
- PHR or SHRM-CP
- Professional level human resources experience in large complex organizations
- Experience with NOVATime and Ulti-Pro a plus
- Bilingual (Spanish)
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.