Learning and Development Specialist
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
As part of the Learning & Development team, the Trainer/Instructional Designer conducts training and performs training design, development, utilization, and evaluation of processes and resources for learning. The Trainer/Instructional Designer shall develop courses and training materials such as teaching manuals and student guides, in close coordination with the Lead Instructional Designer and Program and Department leadership. Performs employee training, and other instruction initiatives using varied learning methodologies including classroom training, blended learning, job aids, experiential learning, and e-learning, all with a primary focus of developing employee skills to improve the quality of client interaction and client outcomes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct training events and programs, both off-the-shelf and developed in-house
- Instructor-led training
- Prepare Training materials, support Instruction Designers with logistics, prepare classroom or other training venues
- Support Instructional Design Planning and Analysis
- Conduct needs assessments for various VOALA programs and departments
- Conduct learner analyses to match training materials to identified needs
- Assist the design of curricula and training materials to address identified needs
- Design and Development Tasks
- Develop instructional materials as directed
- Evaluate and assess instruction and its impact.
- Other tasks as may be required to support organization’s learning and development
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor's degree or a combination of relevant education and experience (4 years).
- Experience designing instructional material or other similar role.
- Two years’ previous experience as a trainer, corporate training specialist, or related position.
- Knowledge of best practices for instructional materials and teaching platforms
- Solid knowledge of the latest corporate training techniques
- Demonstrated computer proficiency; including word processing, spreadsheet creation, and education/development software.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong organization, prioritization, and time management skills
- Excellent presentation skills, incorporating relevant technology (ZOOM, PowerPoint, for example)
- Communicates effectively in visual, oral and written form
- Capable of creating a positive learning environment, conveying objectives clearly, encouraging and motivating trainees, and evaluating learning outcomes
- Apply current research and theory to the practice of instructional design.
- Update and improve one’s knowledge, skills and attitudes pertaining to instructional design and related fields.
- Apply fundamental research skills to instructional design projects.
- Has a dedicated approach and strong understanding of policy and goals regarding learning
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others – on own team and across departments
- Positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude that views challenges as opportunities
- Solid commitment to making sure things are done right and on time
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to identify areas for improvement
- Ability to accept and apply feedback
- Is a quick-witted person eager to learn, with an eye for details
- Experience with Articulate Storyline software is preferred
- Familiarity with social services and related issues
- Previous work with online training portals/systems
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.