Lead Maintenance Technician Pathways to Home
Maintenance and Grounds | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
PATHWAYS TO HOME
Pathways is the largest homeless shelter in Los Angeles, providing a diverse group of services, including: Comprehensive Case Management Services, Affordable Housing Assistance, Transitional Housing Programs, Permanent Housing Placements, JWCH Mobile Clinic, Department of Health Services, USC-HIV Study/Prevention.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Lead Maintenance Technician has responsibility for oversight of construction, repairs and maintenance operations for designated VOALA sites. This position requires the ability to work flexible hours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans and executes repair, maintenance and construction projects at an apartment complex or program facility
- Leads facility maintenance staff; provides leadership, directs work, oversees employee performance and provides staff training
- Performs various facility maintenance repairs and maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and carpentry, assembles maintenance team for larger projects/repairs
- Performs inspections and reports routine and other needed repairs, prioritizes maintenance action
- Maintains records including but not limited to work orders, supply receipts, and other project related information
- Works with vendors as well as program participants and/or tenants, as applicable
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verification
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in facilities maintenance or construction, with proven skill in a construction specialty (plumbing, electrical, masonry, carpentry, HVAC, for example)
- Has strong knowledge of building codes and quality aspects of building maintenance
- Strong understanding of all areas of property and building maintenance and repair
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Basic understanding of Internet applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to plan and execute a complete project with limited input
- Strong oral and written communication skills, able to draft clear written instructions, work orders, inspections reports and other reports as needed
- Able to lead Maintenance Staff
- Ability to proficiently use an extensive range of maintenance tools and equipment, specifically those needed for major repairs of apartment complex
- Ability to consistently perform tasks with quality consistent with experience and skills, in a professional and timely manner
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate, and conflict resolution
- Formal training in a Construction Trade specialty (plumbing, electrical, masonry, carpentry, HVAC, etc.)
- Experience leading a team of maintenance or construction workers
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.