Lead Benefits Specialist (Benefits Advocacy - West Covina)
Adult Services | West Covina, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Lead Benefit Specialist will provide direct support to a team of Benefit Specialist. Duties will include direct assistance in writing/researching Medical Summary Reports (MSR), being able to identify any additional resources that a client may need or be eligible for. Being able to assist in the direct submission of a disability application such as SSI, SSDI, CAPI, and VA benefits. Qualified candidates will have experience providing direct services to people experiencing homelessness, with a background in benefits advocacy, including the ability to screen potential clients for benefits trough conducting through assessments.
The Lead Benefits Specialist is responsible for:
- Support the Program Coordinator in managing initial submissions of disability applications, processing reconsiderations for any denied claims and processing appeals efficiently.
- Monitor and evaluate clients’ progress and assist in improving client’s individual needs and service plan to insure best quality is being provided to clients.
- Identify additional services to which participants will be referred (such as housing, employment, education) and connect participants to those services through VOALA programming or community service providers and partners
- Coordinate with DMH, DHS, DMVA, and/or LASD (and other agencies) as needed to secure required records are process timely.
- Follow up with providers to ensure all required documentation is received in a timely manner
- Communicate approval of claim to client and any other providers currently working with the client to navigate governmental benefits programs
- Bachelor's Degree in social work, social services, public administration, public health or related field
- At least one year of experience in benefits advocacy (2 years without degree); healthcare/benefits administration a plus
- At least one year of case management experience connecting clients to resources; (2 years without degree)
- At least one year of experience providing benefits to homeless individuals
- Experience submitting claims for Social Security, CAPI and VA Benefits
- Strong Case Management skills and knowledge of available resources in the area
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- Valid California driver's license and dependable transportation with adequate insurance
- Understanding and demonstrated ability to navigate governmental benefit programs preferred
- SOAR and DVA Certified preferred
- Familiar with HMIS data system
- Demonstrated experience providing services to participants from diverse backgrounds (ethnic/racial diversity, LGBTQ community and varying socioeconomic histories)
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer