Job Developer Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program (IVTP)
The Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program (IVTP) program ensure that Veterans receive the employment and training services they need to get good jobs. IVTP offers job counseling, resume preparation, job placement, and follow up. IVTP provides immediate transitional housing on site and through referrals to VOALA Pathways to Home. We serve male and female Veterans by offering supportive services as well as job counseling and training through various community partnerships. Program staff ensures that participants receive essential supportive services such as clothing, shelter, referral to medical or substance use disorder treatments, and transportation assistance either within VOALA or at another agency in the community.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Job Developer serves on a team that is the central point of contact to coordinate and provide job placement and support services for assigned clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct employability assessments of potential participants, this includes, but is not limited to assessing level of ability, readiness for work, physical and mental capabilities of participants, educational background, skills and identification of challenges and barriers to employment
- Write complete and detailed individualized employment plans outlining activities and community referrals, with concise and clear goals to be tracked
- Develops a service plan for each participant
- Conduct comprehensive screenings and assessments with veterans to collect functional, environmental, financial, employment, housing, educational, and health information, as appropriate
- Draft a Service Plan that complements the Employment Plan
- Provide career counseling and job coaching, including labor market trends to job seekers, coordinating job skills training, as outlined in participant employment plan,
- Provide job readiness skills training (soft skills) in areas of resume preparation, interviewing and job search techniques
- Arrange interviews with employers and working with participants on job retention issues
- Develop and maintain working relationships with local employers, creating long-term permanent placement opportunities for program participants
- Develop a resource base of employers committed to giving priority hiring attention to HVRP
- Represent the interests of the agency, (Volunteers of America Greater Los Angeles) the program and its participants in all networking and public relations opportunities.
- Develop and coordinate linkages with job skills training resources in high-demand fields
- Coordinate with EDD Worksource Centers, Department of Rehabilitation, Los Angeles Unified School District, various community and faith based providers, Veterans Administration, and other Veteran social service and employment resources to ensure participants have access to available services to ensure success.
- Meet regularly with program participants, aiding their job search by scheduling interviews, referring job leads and community services to ensure participant success
- Monitor and track job placement activities on a regular basis to ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California Driver’s License and Auto Insurance
- Must be over the age of 18 years
- High school diploma or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in case management or as a job developer
- Skills in sourcing jobs, and cold calling potential employers
- Knowledge of local employment market
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, including PowerPoint
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, and internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct presentations to groups
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Client- focused, prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and experience in employment placement and vocational counseling activities
- US Armed Forces veteran strongly preferred not required
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.