Job Developer - Entry (HVRP Compton)
Adult Services | Compton, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program
he Homeless Veterans' Reintegration Program1 (HVRP) is an employment focused competitive grant program of the Department of Labor, Veterans' Employment and Training Service (DOL-VETS), the only federal grant to focus exclusively on competitive employment for homeless veterans. HVRP offers job counseling, resume preparation, job placement, supportive services and employment retention follow–up. HVRP provides immediate transitional housing on–site and through referrals to VOALA Housing Programs.
Program staff ensures that participants receive essential supportive services such as clothing, shelter, referral to medical or substance use disorder treatments, and transportation assistance — either within VOALA or at another agency in the community.
- Conduct employment ability assessments of potential participants, this includes, but is not limited to assessing level of ability, readiness for work, physical and mental capabilities of participants.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with local employers, creating long-term permanent placement opportunities for program participants.
- Develops an individualized employment plan with each participant.
- Develop and coordinate linkages with job skills training resources in high-demand fields.
- Develop a resource base of employers committed to giving priority hiring attention to HVRP.
- Provide career counseling and job coaching, including labor market trends to job seekers, coordinating job skills training, as outlined in participant employment plan, arranging interviews with employers and working with participants on job retention issues.
- Coordinate with EDD Worksource Centers, Department of Rehabilitation, Los Angeles Unified School District, various community and faith-based providers, Veterans Administration, and other Veteran social service and employment resources to ensure participants have access to available services to ensure success.
- Represent the interests of the agency, (Volunteers of America Greater Los Angeles) the program and its participants in all networking and public relations opportunities.
- Administer job-readiness assessments to population including work-readiness, educational background, skills and identification of challenges and barriers to employment.
- Arrange interviews with employers and work with participants on job retention issues.
- Write complete and detailed individualized employment plans outlining activities and community referrals, with concise and clear tractable goals.
- Meet regularly with program participants, aiding their job search by scheduling interviews, referring job leads and community services to ensure participant success.
- Monitor and track job placement activities on a regular basis to ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress to probation and program participant.
- Provide job readiness skills training (soft skills) in areas of resume preparation, interviewing and job search techniques; provides career counseling and job coaching.
- Others duties as assigned.
- Must be over the age of 18 years old.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 months of experience working as a job developer and/or in case management services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skills in sourcing jobs and cold calling potential employers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to conduct presentations to groups.
- Knowledge of local employment market.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, including PowerPoint.
- Ability to maintain up-to-date accurate case files.
- Valid California Driver’s license, insurance, and reliable transportation.
- Experience working with U.S Armed Forces Veterans.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.