Job Developer Entry Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program
Adult Services | Compton, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HVRP Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program
The HVRP - (AKA - Helping Veterans Receive Paychecks) program ensures that Veterans receive the employment and training services they need to get good jobs. HVRP offers job counseling, resume preparation, job placement, and follow–up. We serve male and female Veterans by offering supportive services as well as job counseling and training through various community partnerships. Program staff ensures that participants receive essential supportive services such as clothing, shelter, referral to medical or substance use disorder treatments, and transportation assistance — either within VOALA or at another agency in the community.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
A Job Developer - Entry serves on a team that is the central point of contact to coordinate and provide job placement and support services for assigned clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct employment ability assessments of potential participants, this includes, but is not limited to assessing level of ability, readiness for work, physical and mental capabilities of participants
- Develop and maintain working relationships with local employers, creating long-term permanent placement opportunities for program participants
- Develops an individualized employment plan with each participant
- Develop and coordinate linkages with job skills training resources in high-demand fields
- Develop a resource base of employers committed to giving priority hiring attention to HVRP
- Provide career counseling and job coaching, including labor market trends to job seekers, coordinating job skills training, as outlined in participant employment plan, arranging interviews with employers and working with participants on job retention issues
- Coordinate with EDD Worksource Centers, Department of Rehabilitation, Los Angeles Unified School District, various community and faith-based providers, Veterans Administration, and other Veteran social service and employment resources to ensure participants have access to available services to ensure success
- Represent the interests of the agency, (Volunteers of America Greater Los Angeles) the program and its participants in all networking and public relations opportunities.
- Administer job-readiness assessments to population including work-readiness, educational background, skills and identification of challenges and barriers to employment
- Arrange interviews with employers and work with participants on job retention issues
- Write complete and detailed individualized employment plans outlining activities and community referrals, with concise and clear tractable goals
- Meet regularly with program participants, aiding their job search by scheduling interviews, referring job leads and community services to ensure participant success
- Monitor and track job placement activities on a regular basis to ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress to probation and program participant
- Provide job readiness skills training (soft skills) in areas of resume preparation, interviewing and job search techniques; provides career counseling and job coaching
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California Driver’s License and Auto Insurance and/or reliable mode of transportation
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Minimum of 6 months of experience working as a job developer and/or in case management services
- Knowledge of local employment market
- Valid California Driver’s license, insurance, and reliable transportation
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, including Words, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skills in sourcing jobs and cold calling potential employers
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct presentations to groups
- Ability to maintain up-to-date accurate case files
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Build rapport with those encountered in all aspects the work day
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Experience working with U.S Armed Forces Veterans
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.