Legal – Risk Management – Compliance | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Internal Counsel provides representation and counsel to VOALA on a broad range of U.S. and California legal matters that include advising on contracts, grants, property, business operations, organizational policies, governance, and regulatory compliance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with executive management to review, negotiate, and approve all contract, subcontract, collaboration agreements, and MOUs with vendors, landlords, funders as well as community and business partners.
- Assist in developing subsidiary structures.
- Solicit and oversee outside legal resources as needed.
- Manage all non-personnel legal claims and lawsuits.
- Manage legal governance matters including matters involving the Board of Directors for VOALA and its subsidiaries and certain affiliates
- Provide advice and manage other organizational legal matters such as intellectual property, legal risks, and certain matters involving clients.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal business statutes.
- Advise staff on laws applicable to private foundations, public charities and social welfare organizations
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) – from a law school accredited by the America Bar Association
- License to practice law in the State of California
- 5 years of experience practicing law in a law firm or corporation
- Contracts law experience
- Working knowledge and understanding of real property law, contract law, premises liability, corporate structure, non-profit law and regulations – State and Federal
- Proficient Computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Familiar with Web-based applications and databases relating to legal research, corporate law and California statute and regulations
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent legal writing ability that is clear, concise, removes ambiguity, and is accurate
- Contract drafting and negotiating skills
- Oral advocacy and counseling
- Excellent investigative and research skills
- Stays current with non-profit compliance regulations and laws, especially in the State of California
- Ability to act as a trusted advisor to principals and colleagues while demonstrating expertise and integrity
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- You are helpful, a team player, and show respect while collaborating with others
- You are results oriented and exercise sound judgment in your work
- A lifelong learner, who is inquisitive and solves problems with bold thinking and innovation
- A visionary who plans for the future with imagination and wisdom
- You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others
- Experience working in-house at an exempt organization strongly preferred
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.