Intake Worker Navigation Center CD19 San Pedro
Adult Services | San Pedro, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
NAVIGATION CENTER CD15
Navigation Center is a multi-service facility aimed at providing services to participants experiencing homelessness by providing a place to store their personal property and offering connection to CES services.
This is a public facility open to participants experiencing homelessness. Participants accessing storage can complete a LAHSA self-certification document or can utilize other methods of identification of homelessness such as self-report. Navigation Centers providing CES connection must verify homelessness per Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Intake Worker conducts screenings and schedules intakes to verify eligibility for the program and to initiate case management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts screening and intake for clients, following program procedures
- Keeps records of incoming clients in logs and HMIS system
- Assists clients with obtaining case management, referring community resources, identifying benefits as well as other shelter services
- Prepare and/or process documents, review for accuracy and completeness, update and evaluate information
- Prepares and generates daily reports; analyses data and prepares special reports as needed
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School diploma or GED
- Six months in the security field or six months providing social services as a worker or volunteer, or a combination of both totaling six months experience; a formal degree or certification in a social service related discipline can substitute for the experience requirement
- Basic Microsoft operating system skills: Outlook, Office, Word, and Excel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Patient, able to be a calming influence in stressful situations
- Database familiarity
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.