Intake Specialist Veteran Recuperative
Adult Services | Greater Los Angeles Area, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Intake Specialist is the initial contact with the potential client seeking supportive services. This position is responsible for intake processes including intake assessments, roster reporting, bed management, potential exit reporting while remaining in compliance with ethical standards of care, including HIPPA, supporting clinical efforts through use of motivational interviewing, de-escalation, and crisis intervention techniques.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Completes intake and assessments on all new participants
- Greets clients, guests, and visitors; assigns client to a case manager, and directs clients to appropriate support staff.
- Assists clients with obtaining case management, benefits and Worksource services as well as other shelter services; assists with necessary paperwork
- Responsible for keeping records of incoming clients in logs and Service Point system, maintaining client file confidentiality
- Assists clients with clothing needs
- Prepares and generates daily reports; analyzes data and prepares special reports as needed
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- 1 year of experience as an Intake Worker, or related social services work
- Program standards of operations
- Creating confidential case files
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation: Office, Outlook, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Database entry and management
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Build rapport with those encountered in all aspects the work day.
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Apply principles of client-centered, strength-based counselling (including the principles of the recovery model and trauma-informed practice)
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for clients
- Apply principles of professional boundaries and ethics to on the job situations
- Experience serving the homeless, or providing service to Veterans.
- US Armed Forces Veteran
- Familiarity with Service Point
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.