Instructors (Juvenile Probation)
Adult Services | Commerce, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Instructor position will be responsible for providing classroom instruction and coursework to youth participants with active involvement in the juvenile justice system. This position will work closely with the Program Manager and Career Specialist to implement and devise strategies for providing educational enrichment to the students.
- Define weekly work assignments and priorities for students and oversee student progress towards stated learning objectives
- Present curriculum to students and ensure academic progress through facilitating classroom discussion
- Must be able to work with students individually, in small group settings, and with the entire class
- Prepare and submit a course of study including program objectives, student performance objectives and daily lesson plans
- Utilize a variety of effective and professional teaching techniques and methods, which assist student(s) in attaining the performance objectives of the course
- Submit all forms and information needed to verify attendance and student progress
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings as required by the Program Manager
- Support the goals of the program through appropriate site activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline especially in education
- Three years of experience working with at-risk youth in an educational environment
- Experience or training working with youth and mentoring.
- Experience in providing leadership of projects.
- Must pass probation department background screening
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation
- Effective written and oral communications skills
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer