Human Resources Supervisor
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP) was established in 1972 in a grassroots effort by community volunteers seeking alternatives for individuals with substance use disorder (SUD). SCADP is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization providing more than 500 residential treatment beds and outpatient counseling to over 1,500 individuals.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Compensation, Benefits, and HRIS with a dotted line to the Employee Relations/HR Manager on employee relations matters.
This position is responsible for the administration of human resources functions for Southern California Alcohol and Drug Program (SCADP) at Volunteers of America, Los Angeles. Assesses the integration needs, such as: process refinement, system workflow changes, updated forms, communications etc. Must be able to perform a wide variety of professional-level human resources functions including recruiting and on-boarding new hires; conducting analysis and administering benefits programs; HRIS administration; interpreting human resources policies and laws.
This position also supports the VOALA Corporate HR/Benefits, HRIS, and Compensation team, with an emphasis on benefits. Hands on supervisor of the administration of benefit programs, including worker’s compensation, retirement administration, leave of absence and the interactive accommodation process. Supervises the Benefits Representative and the LOA Representative.
Additionally, this position supports the employee relations team. Conducts workplace investigations and fields employee concerns. Interacts with employees and managers in assigned programs to assist with questions and policy clarification; makes on-site visits to programs sites to provide face-to-face HR availability to staff in the work environment.
- Responsible for the administration of all human resources functions for Southern California Alcohol and Drug Program (SCADP) at Volunteers of America Los Angeles HR.
- Coordinates with the VOALA employee relations team on employee relations matters. As appropriate, facilities the work being done by the VOALA HR team.
- Provides hands-on supervision of the Benefits Representative and the LOA Representative; provides support and guidance; assists with the resolution of escalated issues.
- Will be directly responsible for a portion of the benefits workload.
- Responsible for keeping abreast of Workers Compensation legal requirements; LOA and the interactive process.
- Acts as a liaison between VOALA and insurance vendors.
- Provides analysis and recommendations for the employee benefit programs including health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, employee assistance, retirement, pension and other plans, as needed.
- Uses data to monitor competitive trends and recommend educational initiatives, benefit plan changes, vendor changes, cost-sharing, etc.
- Assists in coordinating the annual benefits Open Enrollment.
- Assists in developing benefits communication and training materials for both managers and employees.
- May conduct training for both managers and employees.
- Conducts workplace investigations and addresses employee concerns. Interacts with employees and managers in assigned programs to assist with questions and policy clarification; makes on-site visits to programs sites to provide face-to-face HR availability to staff in the work environment.
Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area or the equivalent combination of relevant education and experience - (four years’ direct relevant experience is equal to a Bachelor’s degree)
- Minimum of two years of in-depth Human Resources experience in Benefits (Health & Welfare, Worker’s Compensation, Pension/savings plans, LOA/Interactive process), Compensation, HRIS, Talent Management, and Employee Relations - (Need two years’ in-depth human resources experience in all HR functions with Bachelor’s degree; no Bachelor’s degree requires four years of relevant education and experience and two years of in-depth human resources experience in all HR functions)
- Minimum two years’ professional level human resources experience in a large complex organization
- Minimum of one year of supervisory experience in Human Resources or related field.
- Working knowledge of benefits analytics and administration, including FMLA, HIPAA, COBRA, LOA, interactive process
- Working knowledge of FLSA regulations
- Knowledge of compensation analytics and administration
- Demonstrated knowledge of California state and federal employment laws and regulations
- Working knowledge of California worker’s compensation laws
- Working knowledge of HR Information systems
- Strong computer skills: Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Must be able to develop complex formulas, pivot tables and V-lookups in Excel
- Demonstrated HRIS skills
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of general benefits/HR concepts, including ERISA, FMLA, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), time off programs, compensation and other benefits-related programs
- Strong analytical and math skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to design custom reports in HRIS system
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct training programs
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to research complex questions and develop effective solutions
- Skilled in continuous improvement in work processes and systems
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Proficient in understanding and communication of the spoken and written English language
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized
- Bachelor’s degree in related area
- PHR, SHRM-CP, CCP, CBP or CEBS
- Ulti-Pro HRIS, applicant tracking systems, electronic time-keeping systems
- Three or more years of in-depth Human Resources experience in Benefits (Health & Welfare, Worker’s Compensation, Pension/savings plans, LOA/Interactive process), employee relations, HRIS, employment and on-boarding new staff.
- Two or more years of supervisory experience in Human Resources or related field.