Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Human Resources Service Operations Coordinator oversees the day-to-day efforts of the HR Service Team - HR Associates HR Assistants, and Office Assistants - in the delivery of HR services to employees. Oversees the HR Service team as they address the human resource inquiries from employee incoming calls and e-mails. Leads the onboarding process of new hires; assigning service teams to perform new hire paperwork, organize and conduct orientation, and offboarding of employee. Trains service team inquiries to perform triage and refer inquiries to HR Compliance, HR Employee Relations, Recruiting Team or HR Classification Compensation/Benefits that cannot be handled by HR Service Team. Coordinates with Payroll department the resolution of pay-related issues as it relates to termination paychecks. Supervises, coaches and mentors the HR Service Team, developing their professional growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, coach and mentor the HR Service Team as the team provides service to the organization and VOALA employees.
- Supervises operations to ensure timely and complete background checks and credentialing verifications, ensures candidates meet classification requirements, develops and coordinates new employee offer letters.
- Supervises onboarding process of new hires; overseeing new hire paperwork, organizing and conducting orientation and the offboarding of terming employees.
- Supervises data entry in, and report generation from, the HR information systems relevant to the HR Service Operations functions
- Ensures the maintenance of all employee files and related record keeping of personnel data, I-9 records, and personnel records; conducts routine audits.
- Oversees the HR Digital Record system for all general employee data
- Develops and maintains metrics for HR Service Team ensuring weekly reports of new hires and terminations
- Assists in the continuous improvement efforts within the HR department, providing analysis and recommendations.
- Ensures the resolution of employee inquiries handled by HR Service Team, addressing complex matters and overflow from team, coordinate with appropriate department the resolution of employee inquiries regarding
- Pay and Benefits,
- Workers Compensation,
- Leave of Absence
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience (4 years).
- Minimum of three years of general experience in Human Resources, including significant project management experience.
- Minimum one year of leading, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of California state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Human Resources Operations
- Proficient Computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong ability with Web-based applications and databases, specifically ATS and HRIS programs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Confident public speaker, able to present information to employees during orientation, training and open enrollment, clearly explaining rules, regulations policies and procedures
- Ability to supervise, coach and lead team.
- Ability to be flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to maintain balance and objectivity in stressful situations.
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Proven experience communicating change initiatives to highly-diverse employee populations; possesses continuous improvement skills
- Systematic and organized approach to projects and day-to-day responsibilities, ensuring on-time completion with quality work.
- Ability and desire to work with people from various backgrounds and/or limited English capabilities at all levels within an organization – front line staff to senior leaders
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate.
- BA/BS degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or equivalent discipline
- Preferred SHRM – SCP.
- Professional level human resources experience in large complex organizations of larger than 500+ employees
- Detailed knowledge of federal, state and local statutes relating to equal employment, benefits, family leave, and immigration: (i.e., EEOC, FMLA, FLSA and immigration regulations and guidelines)
- Expert on ATS and HRIS
- Bilingual (Spanish)
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.