Human Resources Compliance Specialist
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Creates, manages, and ensures all employment and workplace policies, procedures, handbook, documents, and practices are legally compliant with federal, state, and local laws and regulations at all times, partnering with external legal counsel
- Assesses gaps and opportunities for improvement of policies and processes relating to HR compliance and recommend practical solutions
- Responsible for ensuring timely communication and dissemination of policy and/or legal/regulatory changes or updates to leadership, management, and supervisory staff; partners with Orientation and On-boarding team to ensure quality dissemination of policy information to all employees, interns, and volunteers.
- Develops and provides formal training to managers, supervisors, and employees on human resource related laws and policies
- Manages the job description process, ensuring a job description for all positions, and reviewing job descriptions to ensure essential job and physical functions meet ADA and other regulatory/legal requirements; ensures job descriptions for all positions at VOALA; ensures all employees have signed their Job Descriptions including new employees at time of orientation; Reviews job classifications as needed to determine compliance with exemption rules under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Supports Employee Relations team by reviewing progressive discipline documents, transfers, promotions, and investigative summaries and making recommendations; as requested, conducts employee relations investigations
- Completes VOALA case discovery of documents as requested for all HR legal matters. As requested, attends, participates in deposition preparation and mediation
- Responsible for employee relations analytics to determine trends and patterns to inform future practices including process and policy improvements; Partners with legal counsel to proactively identify policy and process changed required; Completes HR Compliance audits and assesses potential HR Legal Risk to the organization partnering with external counsel; Provides recommendations for mitigating risk as requested
- Researches and stays abreast of current developments, amendments, and interpretational changes in laws affecting human resources and employer/employee relations; educates and trains staff accordingly; makes recommendations for changes to policies and procedures to ensure compliance with new developments
- Partnering with HRIS, coordinates the HR Audit process for all audits, reviews contracts for HR compliance, responds immediately to all audit findings, ensures new processes and policies are implemented to ensure future HR compliance with contracts and grants.
- Oversees the HR Filing process – ensuring compliant and up-to-date filing. Determines which documents need to be uploaded to UltiPro and ensures process is managed appropriately.
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, dealing with un-cooperative employees
- Hands on responsibilities and the ability to work a regular schedule provided by your direct supervisor and consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or Business
- 4+ years’ in HR Compliance – risk prevention, risk mitigation, HR policies, Handbook, and HR practices
- Specialized education/training in employment law, especially in the State of California
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Business acumen partnered with a dedication to compliance and legality matters
- Excellent investigative and research skills
- Stays current with employment regulations, laws, standards, and regulations for federal, state (California), and local areas.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills including clear and concise articulation of recommendations and conclusions; organizes ideas clearly and logically
- Ability to listen attentively to people's ideas and concerns; paraphrases to ensure understanding; ability to defer judgment on what someone is saying and, instead, focuses on finding out more; focuses on individual circumstances that are driving someone's behavior and adapts responses accordingly
- Ability to find non-threatening ways to approach others on sensitive issues; makes others feel comfortable by responding in ways that convey interest in what they say; manages own behavior to prevent or reduce stress
- Is methodical, diligent, detail oriented, and accurate with outstanding project management and planning abilities. Has ability to effectively set priorities, organization and management of work including time management skills, handle multiple tasks, and make decisions to ensure work is completed under time constraints while meeting and/or exceeding all deadlines and expected outcomes.
- An analytic mind that is able to determine the complexity of procedures and regulations and to accurately interpret data and reports
- Ability to build effective, trusting relationships that contribute to personal effectiveness and the effectiveness of the work team
- Ability to train on legal compliance subject matters and to adjust delivery of training and training materials to classroom situation and learners’ needs
- Keeps matters confidential and uses ordinary tact and courtesy while safeguarding confidentiality
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) – from a law school accredited by the America Bar Association – focused in employment law
- Master’s degree in HR or business
- 7+ years’ experience in HR Compliance role or focused in employee relations, hiring, terminations, and other employment law related issues, and HR Compliance
- PHRCA certification
- Certification as an audit, HR, or compliance professional
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer