Human Resources Associate Workers Compensation and Benefits
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The HR Associate I for Workers Compensation and Benefits will assist the Benefits team primarily in providing workers compensation administration. The HR Associate –Workers Compensation and Benefits will be a point-of-contact for employees and managers for matters related to workers compensation, benefits enrollment and accessing, and general benefits questions. Supports the HR Representative – Workers Compensation and Benefits member in the day-to-fay administration of the workers compensation and benefits program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in processing assigned Workers Compensation claims: performs workers compensation employee intakes, collects employee injury reports.
- Coordinates workers compensation injuries with our employee workers compensation clinic.
- Support the day-to-day administration of employee benefit programs; develop knowledge on those plans, including: medical, dental, life and disability insurance plans, , wellness, and other programs that may be initiated.
- Point of contact for employee benefits questions; researches plan and carrier information, providing benefits information and answering questions in a timely manner
- Assists with the annual Open Enrollment process and communications
- Maintain accuracy of benefit plan documentation Maintain accurate records
- Perform limited project assignments as directed by HR management, including analysis of benefits programs and workers compensation claim trends, and other HR initiatives as may be needed
- Provides back up for Leave of Absence’s (LOAs) management, is a resource for HR Service team.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (4 years of relevant experience / coursework)
- Six months of general HR experience.
- Six months of familiarity with employee benefits administration.
- Basic knowledge of California employment laws and requirements.
- Basic knowledge of benefits administration, including HIPAA.
- Basic knowledge of HR processes and procedures
- Strong computer skills: Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Skilled user of Web-based applications and databases, specifically HRIS
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills; strong relationship building skills
- Confident public speaker, able to present information to employees during orientation, training, and open enrollment, clearly explaining rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Strong analytical and math skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn Workers Compensation Administration
- Demonstrated ability to learn Employee Benefits Administration
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- PHR, SHRM-CP, CBP or CEBS
- Professional level human resources experience in large complex organizations with high volume of workers compensation cases.
- Experience with UKG/Ulti-Pro a plus
- Bilingual (Spanish)
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.