Human Resources Associate
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
As part of the HR Service Team, the HR Associate I position is a vital resource for Human Resources department, performs the full spectrum of the Employment/Onboarding of new employees. Additionally, performs a variety of human resources functions, including compensation, benefits, employee relations, compliance, and other HR processes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports HR Service Team: performs triage on incoming calls directing calls to appropriate HR support; performs employee onboarding tasks and assists new employee orientation
- Works in support of HR Department in general, as well as assisting the Benefits, Classification & Compensation, Compliance, and Employee Relations efforts
- Conducts employment, degree and eligibility verification of applicants and transfer/reclassification requests; maintains and tracks records of other employment compliance requirements (background checks, TB screening, licensing, credentials, et cetera)
- Other duties as may be required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor degree or equivalent combination of education and experience (4 years)
- Minimum of one year of related HR work experience.
- Working knowledge of current general employment/labor law including federal, state and local statutes such as, EEOC, affirmative action, FMLA, FLSA and immigration regulations and guidelines.
- Computer skills (including typing, emails, software use), HRIS, 10-key, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Applicant Tracking Systems and databases.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to set priorities;
- Strong problem solving, decision making skills;
- Ability to interpret data;
- Detail oriented, organizational and analytical skills;
- Ability to read/write; proficient in understanding and communication of the spoken and written English language;
- Ability to meet established deadlines;
- Strong critical thinking skills;
- Ability to maintain complete confidentiality with sensitive employee information;
- Ability to present information to employee for training, open enrollment, audits, investigations, etc., as required;
- Ability to clearly explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Ability to be flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities; Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Dependable, collaborative, have regular/dependable attendance, be prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.