Human Resources Assistant
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
As part of the HR Service Team, the Human Resources Assistant will assist in the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports HR Service Team: performs triage on incoming calls directing calls to appropriate HR support; performs employee onboarding tasks and assists new employee orientation
- Works in support of HR Department in general, as well as assisting the Benefits, Classification & Compensation, Compliance, and Employee Relations efforts
- Perform administrative duties such as identifying and organizing documents for electronic archiving, photocopying, data entry and organize materials, credential and licensing tracking
- Conducts employment, degree and eligibility verification of applicants and transfer/reclassification requests; maintains and tracks records of other employment compliance requirements (background checks, TB screening, licensing, credentials, et cetera)
- Assist the HR Service team in answering employee phone calls, assisting in resolution of employee inquiries
- Process employee terminations in HRIS, including final paycheck
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School or GED and some college coursework in Human Resources, Business, or related field
- Experience in a Human Resources role
- Basic understanding of Human Resources practices
- Familiarity with California employment and labor rules
- Working knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Understands and follows oral and written directions as directed.
- Proficient Computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel; familiarity with Database entry and report generation.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to accurately and effectively compose correspondence and reports.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Prompt, team player, sets priorities, handle multiple tasks, good problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.