Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
CORPORATE - HUMAN RESOURCES
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Human Resources Specialist coordinates the efforts of the HR Associates and Assistants in the delivery of service to employees. Acts as initial resource for HR Service team as they address the human resource inquiries from employee incoming calls and e-mails. Coordinates onboarding process of new hires; including new hire paperwork, organizing and conducting orientation. As required, refers inquiries to HR Compliance, HR Employee Relations, Recruiting Team or HR Benefits that cannot be handled by HR Service Team. Coordinates with Payroll department the resolution of pay-related issues. Coaches and mentors the HR Service Team, developing their professional growth. Supports Senior Director, Human Resources with special projects as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, Coach and Mentor HR Service Team as the team provides service to the organization and employees.
- Provide support and assistance for recruitment activities including background checks and credentialing verifications, ensures candidates meet classification requirements, develops and coordinates new employee offer letters.
- Coordinates onboarding process of new hires; including new hire paperwork, organizing and conducting orientation
- Reviews employee eligibility for transfer and reclassification requests; coordinates with Classification team
- Data Entry in, and report generation from, the HR information system
- Assist in the maintenance of all employee files and related record keeping of personnel data, I-9 records, and personnel records; Assists routine audits.
- Maintains new grant log
- Develops and maintains metrics for HR Service Team
- Performs special projects as assigned by Senior Director, Human Resources
- Assists in the continuous improvement efforts within the HR department, providing analysis and recommendations.
- Supports the resolution of employee inquiries handled by HR Service Team, addressing complex matters and overflow from team, coordinate with appropriate team/department the resolution of employee inquiries regarding
- Pay and Benefits,
- Workers Compensation,
- Leave of Absence
- Maintains corporate credit card records for HR charges
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School or GED and some college coursework in Human Resources, Business, or related field
- A minimum of 3 years of related HR work experience
- Strong working knowledge of California employment laws and requirements.
- Specific knowledge of federal, state and local statutes relating to equal employment, benefits, family leave, and immigration: (i.e., EEOC, FMLA, FLSA and immigration regulations and guidelines)
- Proficient Computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong ability with Web-based applications and databases, specifically ATS and HRIS programs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Confident public speaker, able to present information to employees during orientation, training and open enrollment, clearly explaining rules, regulations policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to coach and lead team.
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative client
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Expert on ATS and HRIS
- Capable of coaching and mentoring
- Ability to be flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities
- BA/BS degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or equivalent discipline
- Bilingual (Spanish)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.